Two sections of the Thames Path in Greenwich have been closed to make sure people keep more than two metres apart during the coronavirus emergency.
Walkers are banned from using the narrow sections of path in front of the Old Royal Naval College, between Cutty Sark Gardens and Park Row, and on the west side of the Greenwich Peninsula between Enderby Wharf and Drawdock Road, close to the Intercontinental hotel.
- COVD-19 APPEAL: Donate to help frontline NHS staff
After being closed for a spell on Sunday because of the large number of people using it, the Greenwich Foot Tunnel is to remain open “only for use by key workers and we will have checks and CCTV in place”, Greenwich Council said in its daily Covid-19 email update.
The Thames Path has been a popular location for people to take exercise during the lockdown, but despite extensive redevelopment in recent years it remains narrow in places, making keeping two metres apart from other people an impossible ask.
In Greenwich town centre, access to the river is further restricted as the Old Royal Naval College grounds have been closed to the public.
Greenwich Park is remaining open, but a Royal Parks spokesperson appealed to the public yesterday “not to come for a picnic or to soak up the rays”.
“The parks are strictly open for exercise only. We know how crucial it is for people’s physical and mental wellbeing to have access to these valuable green spaces, and we’re doing everything we can keep them open for those who need them. But we’ve got to work together to follow the rules or we risk losing them completely.”
- Official figures on virus spread
- Official info: Government | Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- Volunteer to help your neighbours: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley | NHS
- Don’t stockpile, give to a food bank: Greenwich | Lewisham | Bexley
- NHS advice | Stay at home | Wash your hands more often
853 produces public interest journalism for Greenwich and SE London and is part-funded by its readers. If you would like to help keep it running, become a member:
- Join us on Steady at steadyhq.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in pounds
- Find us on PressPatron at presspatron.com/853 – donate monthly or annual amounts in pounds
- We’re also on Patreon at patreon.com/853 – donate monthly amounts in dollars
Thank you for your support – the site would not exist without it.